Sunday, April 3, 2011

Points of Power

In a conversation with some friends today, I described the experience of growing up in a home with both parents who were heavy smokers.  I told of the times that our family of five, crowded in the cab of '40 Chevy pickup filled with smoke.  I remember the many times my father told me not to start smoking, "do as I say, not as I do!"  Confusing? a neurotic message? yes!  This is an example of structural conflict and manifests itself in many forms.  These structural conflicts hinder us from bringing into existence all of those things that are most important.

We all are products of our upbringing and taught our limitations. Many of these teachings have allowed us to survive but often over-function.  After being told we can't do or have things, we generalize an inability to have what we want. Two basic limiting beliefs permeate our deep structure; our powerlessness and unworthiness.  Strengthening our personal power lies in our willingness to look into this deep structure, and begin to "Tell the Truth".

The truth isn't just seeking the truth, but honestly seeking understanding of the ways we limit and deceive ourselves.  Learning to tell the truth about my current reality, which is dependent  on a second point of power, "Pay Attention".  This is the first critical task; recognizing the pattern and the resulting actions of the patten.

Next time you become aware of falling short of a desired want, stop take time to Pay Attention and Tell the Truth. Allow this truth to enter your conscious mind, bringing the structural conflict to honest examination. Is there a belief based on my unworthiness? my powerlessness?  What is the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment