Sunday, July 3, 2011

...doing the middle


"That was a crazy thing that you did!" my cousin exclaimed.  I choose not to return from the peak of Mt. Evans by the foot path but boulder to boulder.  It took longer, but each step was an experience in itself.   I made the choice of direction for my energy.  My cousin was likely concerned about what could have happened...like having to get this 'old guy' off the mountain if he had an accident. 

I was keenly aware of my physical limitations as I made the descent; knowing that any of my children or grandchildren would have moved down more smoothly and quickly.  I was also aware of how our minds and thoughts determine our physical expression. Our will, one of those special gifts we share, directs choices that we make. 

On this day I choose not to follow the path, but one that would allow a unique knowing of the impact of gravity, the feel of granite, the sense of being small, making here and now decisions, and discovery.  During the journey down from the peak I was once again aware of the beginning of a journey, the challenge, the commitment and excitement.  And the middle..."Why in the world did I decide to do such a thing!"  Often this is the most difficult part of any journey, whether driving thru Kansas; a project, a relationship;  it is a step at a time, mindful of the destination.  The finish...the SOA- a sense of accomplishment... gives each of us one of the greatest reasons for challenging our selves to a higher level. 

"You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience.  You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin


No comments:

Post a Comment