Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The power of your legacy

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

One definition of legacy is what someone feels, thinks and says when they hear your name. What are you doing today to build the legacy you want? 

One of the legacies that I desire to transmit to those I encounter, either family or friends is a sense of acceptance of their own value and capacity for life.  My efforts in that direction to seek to create value each day.  Value is determined by what I choose to exchange for this moment, this breath.  Often I make a poor bargain by choosing to engage in activity that has little value for anyone.

I remember on frequent occasions that I would stop by the farm in Oklahoma as a young man to visit with my father.  His response to me before his senior years was; "we can visit while we work".  This is a strong legacy which strongly influenced my sense of always needing to work.  I find I battle this in my personal life; needing to be busy - often too busy to take time to spend time with others. By contrast,  if I stopped to visit my uncle, he would stop what he was doing would sit under a shade tree to visit. Years later when I stopped to visit is son, he always took time from his work to spend with me. 

We leave legacies.  What do you choose to leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment