Friday, July 1, 2011

...wisdom to know the difference

I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you. - Ralph Waldo Emerson



Think of all the things that are not working in your life. That job you don’t like, that relationship that’s not working, those friends that annoy you. Now turn them all on you. Imagine that everything that’s not working in your life, is your fault. How would you approach it? What would you work on to change your life to the state that you want it to be?*

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."
 
Reinhold Niebuhr

In approaching the things that are not working in my life, I first must understand if they fall in either my circle of influence or the circle of concern.  Often the difficult are in my circle of influence but treated as concerns to adapted or accepted.  Denial can wear some very fashionable clothing.  Some of my greatest challenges are in my closest relationships.  When I own those challenges as being in my circle of influence, then I will approach these as I do others...straight on.  In owning these challenges, issues of shame, guilt, anger and love will be confronted.  One great fear is that of being separated or distanced.

Carlos Miceli*

No comments:

Post a Comment