Thursday, June 16, 2011

Catching the Light!

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Once upon on a time I dreamed of gathering stars from the night sky until the milk bucket filled and on some nights I filled the jar with fireflies to illuminate the area around the cot.  These times were when I dreamed...and the time my teachers blamed my academic failures on daydreaming.

That gleam of light flashing across the mind surely must be called intuition and imagination.  These marvelous intellectual attributes can only be utilized when one takes time to to be thoughtful and somewhat disengaged from the urgency of the moment.  Each has their own special time or circumstance for this magic to happen.

One of my favorite places and circumstances is mowing hay.  I have done this task for many years that it takes little concentration or focus to do the job - which allows my mind to invent, imagine and have those 'ah-ha' moments.  It seems as if I enter a time warp, lost in those delightful meandering thoughts, images, ideas and insights into myself and the world around me.  It was in times of mowing hay or plowing fields as a youth that I imagined great things and wonderful relationships, many of which are now present in my life. In most instances, the reality of today has exceed my dreams of my youth;  those dreams were the energy to do the work that created my reality for which I am grateful!

I continue to dream; perhaps greater that before.  I dream of individuals coming to greater understanding and experiencing their wonderful potential.  The dream is of breakthrough and transformation for many of our youth and knowing more of their capacity to dream.

1 comment:

  1. want to hear more about the time your teachers blamed your academic failure on daydreaming!!!

    ReplyDelete