Monday, June 27, 2011

One of the most difficult jobs...

Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. If we follow the truth, it will bring us out safe at last. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

       In late July 2008 I began a most difficult job...providing supportive therapy in area care centers for the aged and emotionally challenged adults.  I worked diligently to communicate in a meaningful way with each client.  The most difficult for me emotionally was attempting to communicate with those individuals that still have their access to their mental capacities but couldn't use their voice due to strokes or other circumstances. Often they would become highly agitated; wanting to communicate their thoughts but couldn't. Their family histories frequently indicated abandonment and tremendously dysfunctional lives.

       I could read the panic, frustration and despair in their behavior...wanting to be heard, to be understood...their mind being locked up inside their body with out a means to be expressed.  I realized in a most real way the urgency of seizing the moment; the time for apology, saying I love you,  I forgive you, you matter to me.  Truth is how we are able to maintain the integrity of our mind.  Knowing and Telling the truth is a most powerful life experiences.  It isn't always pleasant, and like a client said,  "I know that the truth will set me free, sometimes it hurts like hell!" Such a tragedy, spending life intending to do make those amends and give blessings to those you love and having the desire, and not able to do it.

  • When did you feel most alive recently?
  • Where were you? 
  • What did you smell? 
  • What sights and sounds did you experience? 
  • Capture that moment on paper and recall that feeling. 
  • Then, when it’s time to create something, read your own words to reclaim a sense of being to motivate you to complete a task at hand. (Sam Davidson)

No comments:

Post a Comment