Friday, June 3, 2011

The Real Thing!

That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him. Where is the master who could have taught Shakespeare? Where is the master who could have instructed Franklin, or Washington, or Bacon, or Newton? . . . Shakespeare will never be made by the study of Shakespeare. Do that which is assigned you, and you cannot hope too much or dare too much. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Where do I want to go next?  Often in my life, my destination was the immediate or urgent.  The choices are immense. Experience has taught me that I must choose the destination rather than following someone else.  Each choice requires my most precious, non-renewable resource - time.  Am I willing to exchange it for my choice?  What do I need to pack?  (Reflecting on past journeys I often took more that I needed.)  Do I trust my Maker to provide?  Can I be open to not knowing?  Relying on those resources that reside within me is perhaps the greater challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment