Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Living without knowing

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.” When writing about something that I am afraid to write is such an interesting exercise.  One area that I am afraid to write about is that which I do not have the sense of knowledge or expertise. My fear is of being seen as ignorant or unlearned.   The  is as Emerson mentioned in his statement about belief that 'eyes of others have on other data for computing our orbit'.  It is most likely connected with a core belief that I might not be very bright or even dull witted.  The event that causes me to access this hidden belief about myself will often surface when someone responds or talks to me as if I am unlearned. The emotional response is anger, which may be masked by some smart come back or retort. 

Just this day I taught in a seminar that when we undertaking something to our limit of ability, uncomfortable as it may seem,  a greater capacity within ourselves enters our awareness.  In the words of my graduate professor, Dr. P.T. Teska -  The key to living well is learning to live not knowing

No comments:

Post a Comment