Saturday, June 18, 2011

Greatness and Excellence

Greatness appeals to the future. If I can be firm enough to-day to do right, and scorn eyes, I must have done so much right before as to defend me now. Be it how it will, do right now. Always scorn appearances, and you always may. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The expansion and fuller expression of myself is encased in my dreams and the tools of intuition, imagination and faith (trusting myself and creator) creates the plan for actionable steps.  My will or that part of me that takes action brings the plan into existence.  In my quest the noise of the old patterns, cultural compulsions of  'should', 'have to', 'must' have a loud voice.

This noise can be quietened with the question, "What are the costs of inaction?"*  The antidote for compulsive behavior is compulsive behavior (abstinence of an effective solution for compulsive use of alcohol).  Fear of doing the thing can be countered with the fear of not doing the thing.  Fear without being challenged by default will manifest.  Fear of being a failure does create failure.

Will  action on my dream be a manifestation of the man that I am?  If the answer is 'yes', go for it! Confronting the fear is a commitment check; "how bad do I want it?"  As I step into the 'not knowing', I discover more fully my character.

Failures can become feedback that allow me to 'fine tune' my efforts and utilize my intuition and imagination rather than judge my character. Assessing the positive outcomes of the journey allows the trip to be valuable.  A tool that is helpful on pursuit of the dream is knowing each day is one in which I can experience greatness or excellence.  It is the little things accomplished each day that allows me to arrive.

"It is by studying the little things that we attain the great art of having as little misery, and as much happiness as possible.  Samuel Johnson"


* Dan Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment